lunes, 30 de abril de 2018

What method do you prefer?


Hi everybody! How are you? I was thinking about the different methods that teachers had to teach a language in the 1970s and 1980s. Do you think that they were the same methods that we have today?... nop… they don’t.

There were four methods which called my attention...

The first one is community language method.

Resultado de imagen para community language learning

I think that we may use this method nowadays in some schools at the beginning of the class. We may called it "circle time". I remember that I worked in this way in a school with 2nd grade students. We sat in a circle and they told me what they did during the weekend or something that they wanted to share with the class. 

Another method is The Silent Way where the teacher says as little as possible. It's a student-centered method. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPPGrnrJv4&feature=youtu.be

As you can see in the video the teacher mimes all the actions and let the students talk and answer.

Another method is Suggestopaedia where students' environment is essential. Students should be confortable and relaxed so the affective filter is lowered.

There are three main parts: 
1) oral review
2) presentation and discussion of the new material
3) listen to relax music while the teacher reads the new material

I use music in my classroom and I can say that students enjoy listening to instrumental music. They are relaxed and after some classes they get accustomed to it.

The last method is Total Physical Response where students respond physically to the language they hear. Here is a video to show you one activity using this method.


https://youtu.be/6x9Cr1hU9to

I hope you enjoy my post and I think that many teachers today use some of this methods in their classrooms.  What do you think? Do you use some techniques of this methods?

2 comentarios:

Have you ever had a fantastic week? Have you ever felt so happy with little or big things that happened to you that are just a kiss to your ...